What is Fibromyalgia?
Also known as fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) is a long-term condition that causes pain all over the body without a specific cause. This characteristic pain may be accompanied by fatigue, headaches, and difficulty with sleep, anxiety, and depression. Females in the age group 20 to 50 are the most likely to suffer from fibromyalgia.
Some potential causes include: allergies to chemicals or foods, viruses, hormonal problems, poor digestion, candidiasis, spinal misalignments, stress, or neurotransmitter deficiency. Fibromyalgia has symptoms that resemble those of some rheumatic illnesses. These are autoimmune diseases in which a defective immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s own healthy tissue, producing inflammation and damage. Recently over 140 auto-immune diseases have been linked to Leaky Gut Syndrome. If you thin your symptoms may be linked to a Leaky Gut, then try the Leaky Gut Quiz (1) here!
The best place to start to improve symptoms is to start eating specific anti-inflammatory foods see our healthy shopping list!
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, fibromyalgia is a “disharmony of the spirit.” Acupuncturists say “Wherever there is pain, there is no free flow of energy. Where there is no pain, there is free flow of energy.”
One of the main reasons it’s not clear how many people are affected is because fibromyalgia can be a difficult condition to diagnose. There is no specific tests for the condition, and the symptoms can be similar to a number of other conditions and you need to see you GP to get a diagnosis. For a diagnosis to be made, you must have pain in at least 11 of 18 specific trigger points.
The severity of fibromyalgia symptoms varies from person to person, and often, symptoms disappear and then return. Fibromyalgia is characterized by long-term and widespread pain in muscles and connective tissues, without any specific cause, people with fibromyalgia may also have:
- increased sensitivity to pain
- fatigue (extreme tiredness)
- muscle stiffness
- difficulty sleeping
- problems with mental processes (known as “fibro-fog”) – such as problems with memory and concentration
- irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) – a digestive condition that causes stomach pain and bloating
How to treat the painful symptoms of Fibromyalgia Naturally.
We use ASYRA Pro bio-resonance to complete the health screening protocols using the functional medicine 4R approach. During a comprehensive health consultation, the aim is to work through the 4R stages and help you map out
the most effective route to optimal health,
Equilibrium 5R Approach for Fibromyalgia
- REMOVE from the body what should not be there such as inflammatory foods (gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs and sugar which can lead to food sensitivities), infections (parasites, yeast or bacteria), and gastric irritants like environmental toxins (chemicals, drugs or heavy metals).
- REPLACE the healing ingredients missing from the body required for proper digestion and absorption that may have been depleted by diet, disease or the aging process.
- REINOCULATE the microbiome with prebiotics and probiotics to re-establish a healthy balance of good bacteria to help strengthen immunity.
- REPAIR with natural nutritional supplements, herbal, aromatherapy products to help the gut repair and rejuvenate the gut wall lining.
- REBALANCE the other lifestyle choices which contribute to health: Sleep, exercise, and stress can all affect the GI tract. Balancing those activities is important to an optimal digestive tract.
You can read about it in more detail here!
The main inflammation causing foods Fibromyalgia sufferers should avoid
Gluten – Can cause autoimmune issues, is pro-inflammatory and can make fibromyalgia worse.
Allergens – Any potential food allergens, try to determine what foods you are allergic to and eliminate those from your diet. An elimination diet is a very effective way to determine food intolerances. Common allergens: gluten, shellfish, commercial dairy, and peanuts.
Sugar – Increases pain and inflammation.
Processed foods or foods with additives – These foods contain chemicals that will make your condition worse.
Excess alcohol and caffeine – Can cause mineral deficiencies and dehydration.
The Top Anti-inflammatory Foods to Include in the diet
Nourish the body by eating the following top foods and supplements to help the body heal the painful symptoms of fibromyalgia. Here is a Healthy Shopping list of anti-inflammatory foods which will help alkalise the body and reduce inflammation
- Green vegetables – These provide essential minerals, such as magnesium, for optimal health and well-being.
- Clean lean protein – Helps muscles and tissues maintain energy and proper function.
- Fermented foods and cultured dairy – Probiotic foods such as yogurt, kefir or sauerkraut help prevent candidiasis, a root cause of fibromyalgia. For the most powerful probiotics available as a culturedyogurtt, please visit www.bravoprobiotic.co.uk
- Omega-3 fats – These healthy omega-3 fats reduce inflammation and can reduce pain associated with fibromyalgia.
- Antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C, E – Fruits, vegetables, and herbs are good sources of these potent disease fighters.
The Top Supplements to support Fibromyalgia
- Magnesium to replace a mineral deficiency and help relax the nerves and muscles.
- Fish Oil has anti-inflammatory properties which may help to reduce pain.
- Vitamin D3 deficiency can exacerbate autoimmune conditions.
- D-Ribose can help improve cellular energy.
- Rhodiola and Ashwagandha Adaptogenic herbs can help improve improve metabolic function and reduce stress.
- Bravo Probiotic Yoghurt which contains over 42 beneficial bacteria and yeast to help promote a healthy microbiome, naturally occurring GcMAF as a result of the fermentation of milk and colostrum, plus natural proteins, minerals, vitamins and powerful bio-active molecules such as lactoferrins, immunoglobulins, antioxidants vitamins and Vitamin D-binding protein-derived Macrophage Activating Factor.
The Top Complementary Treatments to support Fibromyalgia
- ASYRA pro energetic signatures (homeopathic) to balance the subtle energetic health status.
- SCENAR – Natural pain relief treatment which supports the free flow of energy.
- MAFActive cream with added glycoproteins to support strengthening the immune system – read the client feedback page here
- BACH flowers to support emotional wellbeing
- Nutraceuticals, therapeutic strength nutritional supplements to promote the microbiome, reduce inflammation, boost immunity and provide the essential building blocks the body needs to heal and repair damage to the mucosal linings caused by inflammation
- Essential Oils of Lavender for sleep and to reduce the emotional stress. Helichrysum oil has been shown to decrease muscle pain, improve circulation and support healing of nerve tissue which makes it an effective natural treatment for fibromyalgia.
- Adaptogenic herbs of Ashwaganda and Rhodiola can help improve metabolic function and reduce stress
The Top Lifestyle Modifications to support Fibromyalgia
- Osteopathic to support musculoskeletal pressure
- Emotional Counseling or cognitive behaviour therapy to support emotional trauma
- Physical activity to improve physical movement and stress levels
- Meditation to improve relaxation and reduce stress levels
- EFT, tapping for is a set of techniques which utilize the body’s energy meridian points – literally tapping into your body’s own energy and healing power.
Have you been misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia?
Lyme disease is a debilitating tick-borne illness which leads to serious health issues if the person exposed to the bug is not treated within 48hours. However, painful symptoms such as fever, headaches and fatigue can often be attributed to lesser viruses or autoimmune conditions such as arthritis, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and the Lymes disease is left undetected and therefore incorrectly treated.
A story in the daily mail last week reported an eight-year-old girl in Australia visited 23 doctors before being correctly diagnosed after being bitten by a tick on a beach.
Misdiagnosis of Lyme disease is common because the symptoms resemble so many other illnesses and it is hard to detect the bacteria with the current lab tests available. One of the questions I always ask new clients is ‘Have you been bitten or stung by anything, ever?’.
Recently some celebrities have come forward to raise awareness of Lymes including: Avril Lavigne, Alec Baldwin, George W. Bush, Ben Stiller and most famously billionaire John Caudwell who recently appeared on Good Morning to call for a programme of awareness so that the NHS routinely test for Lyme when anyone presents with symptoms of chronic fatigue, ME or other chronic conditions.
How can Cleanse, Nourish and Heal Help?
Good health is a birthright and shouldn’t only be available to those who have the affordability to invest in their health. All our clients are introduced to the 7 pillars of health and the 3-day sugar cleanse as part of their healing journey, but this is also our FREE gift to anyone who wants to take back the control of their health and stop suppressing their symptoms with medications which can lead to further health challenges. Instead, embark on the healing journey. This is not for the faint-hearted, it’ not a magic pill or quick fix and if you don’t believe in functional foods, medicinal plants and accessing your innate healing ability, then this is not for you. Cleanse, Nourish, Heal.
Many Blessings 🙂
For further support on fibromyalgia you can find regional support groups at the following link http://www.ukfibromyalgia.com/index.html
How to find out more?
To find out more about how the natural healing arts and the latest scientific health screening technologies can help. Request an initial FREE chat to discuss your health challenges and how I can help
Kirsty Terry, Msc, BSc, R(Nutr), RTT™, AFMCP™
Kirsty is a Healthpreneur and uses the modalities of Functional Medicine, Rapid Transformational Therapy (RTT™) and Bioenergetic Health Screening to help her clients achieve their optimum health and vitality naturally.
Kirsty is passionate about how the mind and body works together in creating the onset of illness and combines psycho-emotional, energetic, physical and meta-physical approaches for a truly comprehensive, radically wholistic approach to health and wellness.
She helps her clients to get to, and understand the root cause of their health challenges, and helps them address the lifestyles changes required break free from managing symptoms and achieve their optimum health and vitality.
For anyone who is sick, stuck or just fed-up with the ongoing pattern of managing only symptoms. Her unique combination of modalities provides a truly comprehensive and wholistic approach to achieving health which are non-invasive, painless and a drug-free.
When I’m not trying to heal the world, I’m a Zumba queen, or blissing out with a good meditation