What is ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating disease of multifactorial aetiology characterized by immune system dysfunction, widespread inflammation, multisystemic neuropathology and persistent pain. There are many different collective names which are used for what is described as an illness of uncertain cause affecting many people. It can affect all types of people of all ages, characterised by extreme fatigue tat lasts for more than six months and the symptoms include:
- debilitation fatigue,
- painful muscles and joints,
- erratic sleep patterns,
- digestive issues and
- memory and concentration problems.
- and many more!
It is impossible to diagnose with lab tests, and diagnosis is usually by ruling out other chronic conditions, although it is closely related to adrenal fatigue and wide inflammation of the body. All these systems heavily affect both family, social and working life or education in the case of children – Yes, it is affecting children too!
Mainstream medicine has only recently recognised CFS and ME as a diagnosis, there was a debate as to whether it was actually an illness at all. Previously it has been linked to ‘psychiatric’ or ‘behavioral’ triggers, and the emotional and mental side effects of CFS cannot be overlooked. However, in the field of functional medicine, the root cause of the illness has been linked to: allergies to chemicals or foods, viruses or other chronic infections, environmental toxicity, hormonal problems, poor digestion, candidiasis, spinal misalignments, stress, or neurotransmitter deficiency.
So instead of focusing on What is it?, let’s focus on Why is it?, then it’s possible to identify the root causes and instead of getting hung up on what is called, start to focus on what can be done to treat it.
Primarily, there are medications that will help to reduce symptoms, but they won’t ‘cure’ it merely mask the pain, until the body finds a way to heal itself. However when you look at the other modalities available to ‘complement’ the mainstream approach, then there are a wide number of options available and the more modalities that can be incorporated the better the chance of success and they need to control all levels of healing across the body, mind and spirit.
How to treat the painful symptoms of chronic fatigue naturally.
We use ASYRA Pro bio-resonance to complete the health screening protocols using the functional medicine 4R approach. During a comprehensive health consultation, the aim is to work through the 4R stages and help you map out
the most effective route to optimal health,
Equilibrium RR Approach
- REMOVE from the body what should not be there such as inflammatory foods (gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs and sugar which can lead to food sensitivities), infections (parasites, yeast or bacteria), and gastric irritants like environmental toxins (chemicals, drugs or heavy metals).
- REPLACE the healing ingredients missing from the body required for proper digestion and absorption that may have been depleted by diet, disease or the aging process.
- REINOCULATE the microbiome with prebiotics and probiotics to re-establish a healthy balance of good bacteria which is critical to strengthen immunity.
- REPAIR with natural nutritional supplements, herbal, aromatherapy products to help the gut repair and rejuvenate the gut wall lining.
- REBALANCE the other lifestyle choices which contribute to health: Sleep, exercise, and stress can all affect the GI tract. Balancing those activities is important to an optimal digestive tract.
You can read about it in more detail here!
The main inflammation causing foods to avoid
Gluten – Can cause autoimmune issues, is pro-inflammatory and can make fibromyalgia worse.
Allergens – Any potential food allergens, try to determine what foods you are allergic to and eliminate those from your diet. An elimination diet is a very effective way to determine food intolerances. Common allergens: gluten, shellfish, commercial dairy, and peanuts.
Sugar – Increases pain and inflammation.
Processed foods or foods with additives – These foods contain chemicals that will make your condition worse.
Excess alcohol and caffeine – Can cause mineral deficiencies and dehydration.
The Top Anti-inflammatory Foods to Include in the diet
Nourish the body by eating the following top foods and supplements to help the body heal the painful symptoms of fibromyalgia. Here is a Healthy Shopping list of anti-inflammatory foods which will help alkalise the body and reduce inflammation:
- Green vegetables – These provide essential minerals, such as magnesium, for optimal health and well-being.
- Clean lean protein – Helps muscles and tissues maintain energy and proper function.
- Fermented foods and cultured dairy – Probiotic foods such as yogurt, kefir or sauerkraut help prevent candidiasis, a root cause of fibromyalgia. For the most powerful probiotics available as a cultures yoghurt, please visit www.bravoprobiotic.co.uk
- Omega-3 fats – These healthy omega-3 fats reduce inflammation and can reduce pain associated with fibromyalgia.
- Antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C, E – Fruits, vegetables and herbs are good sources of these potent disease fighters.
The best place to start to improve symptoms is to start eating specific anti-inflammatory foods see our healthy shopping list!
Has the immune system been suppressed?
Given the central role of the immune system in the MS/CFS diagnosis, you have to look at whether the immune system has switched off, and this is where Vitamin D, plays a lot bigger role. Vitamin D this requires the macrophage activating factor carrier protein GcMAF as a carrier protein (1). Recent research has focused on GcMAF and it has become one of the most controversial topics on the planet, even though it is something we naturally make in the human body. It is known that viruses and cancers make an enzyme called nagalase which can switch off the bodies production of GcMAF and therefore the immune system may be suppressed. There are other considerations when it come to the immune system, has their been a recent infection or virus or a vaccination containing a virus where the nagalase could be present to suppress the immune system, prior to the symtoms taking over. Bravo probiotic has naturally occurring GcMAF from the fermentation of milk and colostrum and when given to someone with a compromised immune system, Many people have found after only three months of use, they have experienced its many benefits by completely restoring healthy gut function and strengthening the immune system.
The Top Supplements
- Magnesium to replace a mineral deficiency and help relax the nerves and muscles.
- Fish Oil has anti-inflammatory properties which may help to reduce pain.
- Vitamin D3 deficiency can exacerbate autoimmune conditions.
- Vitamin B, as B6 and B12 can help improve cellular energy, methylation pathways and relieve fatigue
- Rhodiola and Ashwagandha Adaptogenic herbs can help improve metabolic function, pathogenic load and reduce stress.
- Bravo Probiotic Yoghurt which contains over 42 beneficial bacteria and yeast to help promote a healthy microbiome, naturally occurring GcMAF as a result of the fermentation of milk and colostrum, plus natural proteins, minerals, vitamins and powerful bio-active molecules such as lactoferrins, immunoglobulins, antioxidants vitamins and Vitamin D-binding protein-derived Macrophage Activating Factor.
The Top Complementary Treatments
- ASYRA pro energetic signatures (similar to homeopathic) to balance the subtle energetic health status.
- SCENAR – Natural pain relief treatment which supports the free flow of energy.
- BACH flowers to support emotional wellbeing
- Nutraceuticals, therapeutic strength nutritional supplements to promote the microbiome, reduce inflammation, boost immunity and provide the essential building blocks the body needs to heal and repair damage to the mucosal linings caused by inflammation
- Essential Oils of Lavender for sleep and to reduce the emotional stress. Helichrysum oil has been shown to decrease muscle pain, improve circulation and support healing of nerve tissue which makes it an effective natural treatment for fibromyalgia.
- Adaptogenic herbs of Ashwaganda and Rhodiola can help improve metabolic function, pathogen loading and reduce stress
The Top Lifestyle Modifications
- Osteopathic to support musculoskeletal pressure
- Emotional Counseling or cognitive behaviour therapy to support emotional trauma
- Physical activity to improve physical movement and stress levels
- Meditation to improve relaxation and reduce stress levels
- EFT, tapping for is a set of techniques which utilize the body’s energy meridian points – literally tapping into your body’s own energy and healing power.
Have you been misdiagnosed?
Lyme disease is a debilitating tick-borne illness which leads to serious health issues if the person exposed to the bug is not treated within 48hours. However, painful symptoms such as fever, headaches and fatigue can often be attributed to lesser viruses or autoimmune conditions such as arthritis, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and the Lymes disease is left undetected and therefore incorrectly treated.
A story in the daily mail last week reported an eight-year-old girl in Australia visited 23 doctors before being correctly diagnosed after being bitten by a tick on a beach.
Misdiagnosis of Lyme disease is common because the symptoms resemble so many other illnesses and it is hard to detect the bacteria with the current lab tests available. One of the questions I always ask new clients is ‘Have you been bitten or stung by anything, ever?’.
Recently some celebrities have come forward to raise awareness of Lymes including: Avril Lavigne, Alec Baldwin, George W. Bush, Ben Stiller and most famously billionaire John Caudwell who recently appeared on Good Morning to call for a programme of awareness so that the NHS routinely test for Lyme when anyone presents with symptoms of chronic fatigue, ME or other chronic conditions.
How can Cleanse, Nourish and Heal Help?
Good health is a birthright and shouldn’t only be available to those who have the affordability to invest in their health. All our clients are introduced to the 7 pillars of health and the 3-day sugar cleanse as part of their healing journey, but this is also our FREE gift to anyone who wants to take back the control of their health and stop suppressing their symptoms with medications which can lead to further health challenges. Instead, embark on the healing journey. This is not for the faint-hearted, it’ not a magic pill or quick fix and if you don’t believe in functional foods, medicinal plants and accessing your innate healing ability, then this is not for you. Cleanse, Nourish, Heal.
Many Blessings 🙂
How to find out more?
To find out more about how the natural healing arts and the lastest scientific health screening technologies can help. Request an initial FREE chat to discuss your health challenges and how I can help
- Testing for food reactions: the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Kirsty Terry, Msc, BSc, R(Nutr), RTT™, AFMCP™
Kirsty is a Healthpreneur and uses the modalities of Functional Medicine, Rapid Transformational Therapy (RTT™) and Bioenergetic Health Screening to help her clients achieve their optimum health and vitality naturally.
Kirsty is passionate about how the mind and body works together in creating the onset of illness and combines psycho-emotional, energetic, physical and meta-physical approaches for a truly comprehensive, radically wholistic approach to health and wellness.
She helps her clients to get to, and understand the root cause of their health challenges, and helps them address the lifestyles changes required break free from managing symptoms and achieve their optimum health and vitality.
For anyone who is sick, stuck or just fed-up with the ongoing pattern of managing only symptoms. Her unique combination of modalities provides a truly comprehensive and wholistic approach to achieving health which are non-invasive, painless and a drug-free.
When I’m not trying to heal the world, I’m a Zumba queen, or blissing out with a good meditation